skip to Main Content

Included below are items either a parent or child may be entitled to. These are only a small list of items; please note that you may be able to avail of more logging onto the HSE website.

Allowances & Benefits

Domiciliary Care Allowance  

Domiciliary Care Allowance (DCA) is a monthly allowance paid to the parent or guardian of children under 16 who have a severe disability requiring continuous care and attention. The condition must be likely to last for at least one year and the administrating body may review eligibility from time to time. It is important to note that this allowance is not parent means tested, however there are certain qualifications required in order to receive this allowance.

The Domiciliary Care Allowance rate is €309.50 per month. Access the Application Form here

Or contact

Domiciliary Care Allowance Section, Social Welfare Services Office, Department of Social and Family Affairs, College Road, Sligo.
Tel: 1890 500 000 Website Link

Carer’s Benefit

Carer’s Benefit is a payment made to insured persons in Ireland who leave the workforce to care for a person(s) in need of full-time care and attention. You can avail of Carer’s Benefit for a total period of 104 weeks for each person being cared for. This may be claimed as a single continuous period or in any number of separate periods up to a total of 104 weeks. However, if you claim Carer’s Benefit for less than six consecutive weeks in any given period you must wait for a further six weeks before you can claim Carer’s Benefit to care for the same person again.

Access application form.

Carer’s Leave

Your right to Carer’s Leave from employment compliments the Carer’s Benefit Scheme with regard to leave. Carer’s leave allows employees to leave their employment temporarily for a period up to 104 weeks to provide full-time care for people in need of full-time care and attention. The leave will be unpaid but those who propose to avail of carer’s leave will have their jobs kept open for them for the duration of the leave. Eligibility for Carer’s Benefit will not be a prerequisite for carer’s leave.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is payment made by the Department of Social and Family Affairs for carers who are looking after someone who is in need of support because of age, physical or learning disability or illness, including mental illness. It is a means tested payment.

Drugs Payment scheme

Under the Drugs Payment Scheme, an individual or family in Ireland only has to pay €120 each month for approved prescribed drugs, medicines and certain appliances for use by that person or his or her family in that month. If you have a GP Visit Card or do not have a Medical Card you should apply for a Drugs Payment Scheme Card.

Entitlements of Child

Speech and Language Therapy

Find out about SLT entitlements here

Assessment of Need for a child under 5 Years

Any parent who feels that their child aged under 5 may have a disability can apply for assessment. Contact 1890777121 or check out Applications must be made in writing on a standard form which is available from your local Health office. Call 1850 24 1850 or check out a list of local HSE offices from

Child and Adolescent Health

There are a number of schemes contained under this section on the HSE website which your child can avail off.

Bereavement / Death

Bereavement Grant

The Bereavement Grant is a social insurance benefit which is payable, subject to certain Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) contribution conditions Related Social Insurance (PRSI) contribution conditions. The scheme covers both the insured person and their spouse and dependent children under age 18 (or under age 22 if in full time education).

Tax Credits

If a couple have a child that is incapacitated they may qualify for tax credits from the Revenue commissioners if one or both parents are PAYE workers. The office of the Revenue Commissioners can review claims and go back at least 4 years.

Medical Cards

For families who hold medical cards they should copy their medical cards and send to the tax office to ensure that the correct USC charge is being deducted from their wages. The USC rate is lower for card holders.

A copy of medical cards should also be sent to their salaries section as they may qualify for a reduced PRSI payment.  See attached link.

If Domiciliary care claim is awarded please note that the medical information on the carers application does not have to be completed.

For families in receipt of a Social welfare payment who have a sick child in hospital, you should retain all receipts like accommodation, parking, petrol/ diesel, train or bus fares as they may qualify for an Exceptional needs payment from their local community welfare officer.

Back To Top